Friday, April 4, 2025
Home Energy ARCING ON BENIN-EGBIN 330KV ISOLATOR AT EGBIN:  TRANSMISSION SUBSTATION DID NOT CAUSE...

ARCING ON BENIN-EGBIN 330KV ISOLATOR AT EGBIN:  TRANSMISSION SUBSTATION DID NOT CAUSE SYSTEM COLLAPSE.

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN),  says,  as at  6:10pm on the 5th August, 2024, power supply was restored to areas that had been affected by the arcing on Benin-Egbin 330kV isolator which caused lines tripping and consequent loss of supply to some areas. contrary to media reports, saying  the incident did not cause system  collapse.
This is contained in a statement signed by the General Manager Public Affairs TCN Ndidi Mbah
The lines tripping started earlier at about 2:47 p.m. on the 5th of August 2024, with a heavy system surge that led to the arcing of Benin – Egbin 330kV line isolator fingers at Egbin Transmission Substation switchyard.
This resulted in a tripping at the Egbin Generating Station, which caused the loss of power supply to all the Egbin Transmission Substations’ outgoing lines.
 This led to exponential increase in load on the Osogbo-Ihovbor 330kV line 1 with serious arcing of isolators terminals on the  Osogbo-Ihovbor 330kV line 1. To ensure that the sequence of events does not affect the nations’ grid, the Osogbo – Ihovbor 330kV line was opened to temporarily cut off the flow of electricity on that line.
At about 2:56pm, however, the Benin-Egbin 330kV line 1 Circuit Breaker also tripped at the Benin Transmission Substation end and this resulted in the loss of supply to Lagos axis, parts of the South West Region, parts of the North Central and Abuja. Meanwhile, other areas, including the South Eastern region, North East, and other parts of North Central and South West, had full power supply.
The lines tripping was quickly rectified, enabling the grid controller to restore full bulk power supply through the transmission lines at about 6.10pm yesterday.
RELATED ARTICLES

FCCPC ENGAGES DISCOS OVER PREPAID METER PHASE-OUT.

In line with its mandate to protect consumers and promote fairness in the Nigerian marketplace, the Federal Competition and consumer protection council FCCPC  says...

FCCPC APPLAUDS NERC FOR FINES, DEMANDS ACTION TO PROTECT CONSUMERS IN NEW ELECTRICITY REGIME.

  The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) has applauds  the recent enforcement action taken by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) against the...

NNPC@COP28: KYARI MAKE CASE FOR ENERGY TRANSITION FOR AFRICA

As conversations on finding sustainable solutions for a decarbonized energy future continue to hold globally, the Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO), NNPC Ltd., Mele...

Most Popular

FG CALLS ON IOCs IN NIGERIA TO RAMP UP INVESTMENT .

The Federal Government has called on International Oil Companies (IOCs) operating in Nigeria to ramp up investments in the country’s oil and gas sector,...

UPDATE ON PAYMENT OF UNINSURED SUMS TO DEPOSITORS OF HERITAGE BANK (IN-LIQUIDATION)

In response to concerns raised by depositors of the defunct Heritage Bank whose balances exceed the maximum deposit insurance limit of N5 million, the...

NNPC LTD READY FOR INITIAL PUBLIC OFFER .

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited says,  is at the final stage of getting listed in the capital market, in keeping with the provisions...

SAVE THE CONSUMERS CONDEMNS MULTICHOICE’S DISCRIMINATORY PRICING BETWEEN NIGERIAN AND SOUTH AFRICAN SUBSCRIBERS.

The executive Director save the consumer Dr. Aliyu Ilias, a non-governmental organisation committed to defending consumer rights, strongly condemns the recent 21% price increase...

Recent Comments