Friday, February 20, 2026
Home Agriculture FG MOVES TO REVITALIZE SILOS CONCESSION PROGRAMME TO BOOST FOOD SECURITY

FG MOVES TO REVITALIZE SILOS CONCESSION PROGRAMME TO BOOST FOOD SECURITY

 

The Federal Government says it is set to revitalize the Silos Concession Programme as part of efforts to curb post-harvest losses, strengthen food storage systems, and achieve food sovereignty.

Minister of Agriculture and Food Security, Abubakar Kyari, disclosed this during a meeting with the Director-General of the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC), Dr. Jobson Oseodian Ewalefoh, in Abuja.

Kyari described silo storage facilities as critical to tackling Nigeria’s annual post-harvest losses, estimated at $10 billion, and to ensuring year-round availability of staple crops. He revealed that only Flour Mills of Nigeria, which operates three silo complexes, has so far met its concession obligations, while several other concessionaires have defaulted on payments and failed to put facilities into use.

The minister expressed concern over vandalization and deterioration in some facilities, including Ikorodu and Ogoja, stressing that the government would intensify oversight and enforce compliance to ensure only competent operators manage the silos.

On his part, the ICRC Director-General, Dr. Ewalefoh, said only private firms with real operational needs should retain silo concessions. He advised that abandoned facilities be retrieved by the government, noting that some concessionaires had failed to remit returns to the treasury.

The meeting concluded with the establishment of a committee to review concession agreements, assess performance, and set a clear framework for monitoring and evaluation.

This initiative, officials say, aligns with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s agricultural transformation agenda aimed at securing food and nutrition for Nigerians.

RELATED ARTICLES

IFAD GOVERNING COUNCIL AGRICULTURE MINISTER ABUBAKAR KYARI EMERGES CHAIRMAN

  Nigeria has secured a major boost on the global agricultural stage as the Minister of Agriculture and Food Security, Senator Abubakar Kyari, has been...

NIGERIA MOVES TO STRENGTHEN NATIONAL PEST CONTROL STRATEGY AS EXPERTS MEET IN ABUJA

Nigeria is taking major steps to safeguard its food system as the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security convenes an expert workshop in...

NIGERIA MOVES TO STRENGTHEN NATIONAL PEST CONTROL STRATEGY AS EXPERTS MEET IN ABUJA

Nigeria is taking major steps to safeguard its food system as the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security convenes an expert workshop in...

Most Popular

DANGOTE CEMENT COMMISSIONS SECURITY POSTS IN KOGI HOST COMMUNITIES

By Kikelomo Okere   As part of its commitment to enhancing security and reinforce effective community policing in its host communities, Dangote Cement Plc, through its...

OIL FIRMS REJECT $25.5M DEBT CLAIMS, SAY DISPUTE UNDER ARBITRATION

By Kikelomo Okere Editor Green Energy International Limited (GEIL) and Lekoil Nigeria Limited have pushed back on media reports linking them to a $25.5 million debt,...

CBN SLAMS BANKS OVER ILLEGAL CHEQUE PRINTING.

Kikelomo Okere Editor The Central Bank of Nigeria has imposed a ₦10 million fine on any commercial bank that uses unaccredited cheque printers or personalisers. Beyond...

NEPZA HANDS HARVESTFIELD FTZ LICENCE, TARGETS CUT IN MEDICAL IMPORTS

By Kikelomo Okere   The Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority has officially presented the Declaration and Operational Licences to Harvestfield Industries Free Trade Zone, a specialised...

Recent Comments